My Brief CV
Ching is a Professor in the Department of Mathematics
at the University of Hong Kong.
Doing mathematical research is one of his hobbies and he
enjoys listening to pop music.
His favorite singers are Miyuki Nakajima
and Teresa Teng.
He was told that people can feel the meanings of their songs
even though they don't understand their languages.
His favorite bands are Anzen-chitai
and Beyond .
One can find different tastes of life from their songs.
- He finished his high school study at
St. Paul's College.
He got his HKCEE and HKAL.
In his study at the college, he developed his interest in Mathematics.
He was also encouraged to further his study in Mathematics.
- He then obtained his B. Sc. and M. Phil. degrees in Mathematics and
applied Mathematics from the University of Hong Kong. His M. Phil. supervisor is
Prof. Raymond H. CHAN .
- He obtained his Ph.D. degree in Systems Engineering and Engineering Management
from the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
His Ph.D. supervisor is
Prof. Xun Yu ZHOU .
- He then obtained the
Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice ,
a professional qualification from the University of Southampton.
This is a very useful course for a new teacher.
- He has previously taught at the department of applied mathematics of
Hong Kong Polytechnic University
and also the department of mathematics of
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology .
- He was a Statistician in the Census and Statistics Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government , where he worked with the shipping and cargo statistics.
He learned a lot in human resource management in this post.
- He was a visiting post-doc fellow at the
Judge Business School
of the Cambridge University .
He worked with
Prof. Stefan SCHOLTES on traffic demand estimation problems.
Ching was awarded the Best Student Paper Prize (2nd Prize) in the
Conference (Colorado University and SIAM) U.S.A. (1998),
the Outstanding PhD Thesis Prize in the Engineering Faculty, the Chinese University
of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (1998),
the Certificate of Merit in the IEEE (Hong Kong Section)
Postgraduate Student Paper Contest, Hong Kong (1998),
the Croucher Foundation Fellowship,
Hong Kong (1999),
Doris Zimmern HKU-Cambridge Hughes Hall Fellowship (2011),
Doris Zimmern HKU-Cambridge Hughes Hall Visiting Fellow (2012-),
HKU Overseas Fellowship Award (2013) and
2013 Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Awards (Second Prize) from the Ministry of Education in China (2014),
Visiting professor of Beijing University of Chemical Technology (2016).
Distinguished Alumni Award, Faculty of Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, (2017).
His students won the following awards:
(i) the Excellent Student Paper Award in the 36th International Conference on C& IE, Taiwan, (06/2006),
(ii) the Outstanding Research Postgraduate Student Award, HKU, (2007,2011,2012),
(iii) DAAD Summer School Travel Award, China, (2007);
(iv) Award of Postgraduate Fellowships, HKU (2009,2010,2011,2013),
(v) Hong Kong Fellowship, HKSAR (2015)
(vi) Best Student Paper Award in the International Conference of Applied and Engineering Mathematics, The World Congress on Engineering (2009),
(vii) APBC2010 Conference Travel Award (2010).
(viii) Best paper award in the 4th International Joint Conference on Computational Science and Optimization, Kunming, China, (2011).
(ix) The IMS Workshop Travel Award, Columbia University, New York, U.S. (2011).
(x) IEOR Faculty Fellowship (2011) and (x) Marshall-Oliver-Rosenberger Fellowship (2012), UC Berkeley
(xi) Best paper award in the 5th International Joint Conference on Computational Science and Optimization, Heilongjiang, China, (2012).
(xii) Best paper award in the 5th International Conference on Business Intelligence and Financial Engineering, Lanzhou, China, (2012).
(xiii) The best paper award in the 6th IEEE International Conference on Systems Biology (ISB 2012), Xian, China, (2012).
(xiv) Best paper award in the 7th International Joint Conference on Computational Science and Optimization, Beijing, China, (2014).
He is an author/editor of over 300 publications including over 200 journal papers, 5 edited journal special issues, 6 books and over 110 book chapters and conference proceedings.
He has been served as a referee for more than 100
journals and book series .
He is a committee member of Curriculum Development Council Committee on Mathematics Education, Education Bureau, HKSAR government, (2013-),
the High-level Advisory Panel of Chief Executive's Award for Teaching Excellence, HKSAR government, (2016) and
International Consortium for Optimization and Modelling in Science
and Industry (iCOMSI).
He is also an assessor of the Chang Jiang Scholars Program,
Ministry of Education, P.R. China government, (2015-).
- Before joining his Alma Mater, he was a lecturer at the
Faculty of Mathematical Studies of
the University of Southampton,
where he taught both graduate and undergraduate courses in operations research.
'' Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight'' (Proverbs 3:5-6).
''Hate stirs up trouble, but love overlooks all offences'' (Proverbs 10:12).
''To build interesting and practical models so as to understand the nature of
the real world.
To develop fast and efficient algorithms so as to solve practical problems in
real time'' (Research Goal).
''No pain, no gain'' (Experience).
''o + God = Good, but Good - God = o'' (Observation).
''We are not possible not to sin unless we are connected to God'' (Feeling).
''A prayer changes the world gradually but changes his mind at once'' (Try and see).
``The city is dead if people fear everything but not God'' (Regret to know).
Honours and Memberships
- Committee Member of Systems Biology Group of China Operations Research Society, 2010 -.
- Regional Representative of SIAM East Asia Section, 2009 - .
- External Relation Secretary of the Hong Kong Mathematical Society, 2008 - 2012.
- Biography included in the Book Asia Men and Women of Achievement, Malaysia, p.326, 2003.
- Biography included in the Book Who's Who in Asia/Pacific, India, 2003.
- Biography included in the Book of Marquis Who's Who in Science and
Engineering, 6th Edition, U.S.A. 2002.
- Biography included in the Biography Today, 2nd Edition, India, 2001.
- Biography included in the Book of Marquis Who's Who in the World, 17th Edition, U.S.A. 2000.
- Biography included in the book of Five Hundred Leaders of Influence, American Biographical Institute, U.S.A. 2000.
- Biography included in the book of 1000 Leaders of Influence, American Biographical Institute, U.S.A. 2000.
- Biography in the Book of Outstanding Scholars in 20th Century, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, U.K. 2000.
- Biography included in the Book of 2000 Intellectual, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, U.K. 2000.
- Award of American Biographical Institute Diploma of Fellowship, American Biographical Institute, U.S.A. 2000.
- Invited Member of the American Biographical Institute Research Board of Advisors,
American Biographical Institute, U.S.A. 2000.
- Elected Member of the IBC Advisory Council, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, U.K. 1999.
- Professional Member of (ACM) Association for Computing Machinery , U.S.A. 1999.
- Member of Institute of Learning and Teaching, 2001.