Expanding Internship Opportunities Offered to Our Students
Our Department offers eligible students the opportunities to gain valuable work experience in the industry related to their major of study. The students would work either within the University or outside the University arranged by the department. Interested students please refer to the details of requirements for the Capstone Experience / enrollment in MATH4966 Mathematics Internship.
In the past years, our students interned at various organizations:
- AECOM: A Fortune 500 company, serves clients in more than 100 countries and provides professional technical and management support services to a broad range of markets, including transportation, facilities, environmental and energy.
- Education Bureau of HKSAR
- Hong Kong Observatory
- Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEx)
- Marshall Cavendish Education
- Pearson Education Asia Limited
- Times Publishing (HK) Limited
- Research in Industrial Projects for Students (RIPS-HK) at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
- Summer Research Program in Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SPIA) at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
- Secondary schools
Our teachers also offered internships in the summer.
Sharing from Students
Mr. CHEUNG Ka Ho worked under the supervision of Prof. K.M. Tsang during the summer term in 2017.
"I am grateful that I stood a chance to work under the supervision of Prof. K.M. Tsang. To begin with, it is the first time for me to learn the concepts in number theory. Thought I only studied a little of the article, it provided me a new vision to study Mathematics. Moreover, through this internship experience, I got the opportunity to be exposed under a simulated working environment."
Mr. GAN Guo Liang worked at AECOM during the summer term in 2015.
"I am grateful that I had the opportunity to work in the transport planning division in AECOM, Hong Kong. Firstly, I get to understand the underlying mathematical approaches in transport planning, which provides me great insight about the application of mathematics. Secondly, I get to experience the development of a large scale project in a consulting firm. Moreover, I am glad that I am exposed to the work and corporate culture of a large multinational corporation. This helps to prepare my future career in various aspects such as socializing and collaborating with people of different backgrounds."
Epilogues from Employers/Supervisors
"Learn how to use the 3D printer to print some mathematical models. Also learn how to revise the existing codes"
"Studied a simple one dimensional cardiology model and developed a numerical code to do simulation!"
"The student worked in tandem with another undergraduate visitor from IIT- Roorkee to generalize a recent result of the supervisor and Dr. Anna Haensch about quadratic polynomials and modular forms. Some aspects were generalized with great breadth, while others were investigated in a deep manner."
If your company would like to offer an internship opportunity for our students, please contact our course coordinator.